It is just about halfway through the year now and I thought I would talk about how I am doing on my reading goals for the year. If you would like, you can check out my 2015 Reading Goals post here or you can continue reading for a quick synopsis of my resolutions and how they are going so far.
1. Big Books – I want to read 10 books that have at least 550 pages. Last year, I did pretty well reading big books but I have a lot of them still sitting on my shelves that I want to get to this year.
I have only read one of these this year! I have really got to buckle down and read those big books. It is silly that I haven’t read more of these because I love reading large books and I have TONS of them on my bookshelves calling out to me. There is no excuse for my lack of progress with this one.
2. Classics – I would like to read at least 15 classics off of the Classics Reading Challenge my sister, friend, and I are reading through. I think that 15 classics will be a really good accomplishment for this challenge.
I have 3 read books off of this list so far which is okay but I am starting to get concerned about finishing this one. Classics are very time consuming but oh so worth it so I hope I can at least get close on this challenge.
3. TBR Pile – I will attempt to get my TBR pile of physical books below 200. It is currently around 250 or so. This includes books that I buy in 2015. I really want to spend this year reading mostly from my own shelves since I have built up a little library at home.
I have been utterly failing at this one because I keep acquiring new books at a rate faster than I can read. So far, I have read 11 books off of my own shelves though I have added more than that in books I have bought. I am hoping to really work on this in the last half of the year but the library is so distracting! 🙂
4. Series – Whether I have already started them or will start them in the new year, I want to complete 5 series in 2015. I own quite a few series and have a bunch more that I can get at the library. The top of the list on this is A Song of Ice and Fire by George R. R. Martin. I also want to finish reading the last 5 books in the Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling.
I am doing well at this resolution. I am currently on the 4th book in the Harry Potter series and have finished the Earthsea Trilogy by Ursula K. LeGuin. I am really trying to tackle some series over the summer so this resolution should be completed rather quickly.
5. Jessi’s Picks – For this resolution, I am going to have my sister pick 12 books from my shelves that she wants me to read in 2015. They can be any books at all and I will read at least one each month in 2015. This will help me read some books that I have been avoiding or just haven’t thought to pick up yet. I will not be limiting myself to one each month but I have to read at least one a month until they are all gone. I will probably do a separate post showing which books she has picked for me.
This one is also working really well for me. I have read one book a month so far and am loving having this set up as a part of my reading schedule. I have read some really great books as well as read books that have been on my shelves forever.
Overall, I am feeling the challenge of these resolutions right now. I am not taking them as hard and fast rules for my reading but I do enjoy having them as guidelines to help me choose what I want to read. I am always happy with the amount of book I read and even though I haven’t read that many books off of my own shelves, I am loving supporting my local library and just having fun with summer reading.
How are you doing on your reading goals for the year? Let me know down below. I would love to hear from you!
Thanks for stopping by!